Secret London: Chinatown
Little Known Facts about Chinatown
- There are currently 78 restaurants, 53 shops and 12 bars and pubs in Chinatown.
- Ronnie Scott set up his first Jazz Club in Gerrard Street.
- It is believed that Led Zeppelin held their very first rehearsal in a small basement on Gerrard Street.
- Westminster’s first Penny Post Office was established on Gerrard Street in 1794. A green plaque can be seen there to commemorate the importance of this historic milestone.
- London is not the only site of a Chinatown, there are Chinatowns in Liverpool, Manchester, Paris, San Francisco, New York, LA and Boston, amongst others.